• Kevin Marshall

Monty Strike Sinks Haws

Hill of Beath Hawthorn - 0

Penicuik Athletic - 1

Kiers Park, Hill of Beath

Hill of Beath's mixed start continued, with their second home defeat of the season as Penicuik took all the points to go two clear at the top of the Super League. The Fifers had a handful of players missing through injury, and did well to keep themselves in it, but were ultimately left with nothing to show for their efforts.

The Haws started the match well enough, with Calum Adamson having a couple of half-chances in the opening few minutes, although he couldn't apply a finish. But it was Athletic who looked the more dangerous in the early exchanges, and it only took 12 minutes for them to take the lead. It came from a throw-in on the left, which was crossed deep to the back post, and when the defence failed to deal with it Ross Montgomery was there to head the visitors in front.

Athletic nearly double their lead a few minutes later with a dangerous looking corner, but this time it slid narrowly past. The Haws defence was struggling to deal with crosses into box, and Penicuik were looking to press home the advantage with a string of corners, but their finishing was slack and the hosts survived.

The first half was a bit scrappy, with a number of stoppages for knocks breaking the flow of the game and stopping either side get a rhythm going. The midfield battle was fairly evenly balanced, but it was the visitors who were creating the better chances and really could have grabbed another couple before the interval. Haws were restricted to some hopeful balls forward, but neither Elder nor Adamson could get on the end of anything.

Into the second half, and it was really more of the same: the Haws were trying to make something happen, but Athletic looked the more dangerous of the two sides. Kateleza was causing plenty of trouble up front, but his finishing was letting him down and Hall in the Haws goal was keeping his side in it.

Haws just couldn't get anything going in the last third of the park, and their shortage of first team players was underlined when manager Fotheringham came off the bench for the last 10 minutes. That change sparked the home side into action and they suddenly looked liked they might punish Athletic by snatching a point. A flurry of long throws and free-kicks from dangerous areas gave the fans hope of a big finish, but they couldn't convert anything and in the end, Montgomery's goal was enough for the visitors.

Next up, there' a break from league business, with both sides having home ties in the East of Scotland Cup: Haws are at home to Arbroath Vics, while Penicuik host Bathgate Thistle.

See all match photos HERE

#football #juniors #HillOfBeath #Penicuik #Superleague


Kinross, Tayside, Scotland. KY13

  • Twitter Clean


All content is property of Kevin Marshall / kayem photography, and must not be copied, duplicated, printed or reproduced without consent.
All images are available to buy or download, please go to the contact page to request an image.

Thank you for visiting, you are visitor number                                         to this site.

©  2018 Kevin Marshll. Created and powered by Wix.com